Sunday 25th February
14.00 – 15.00 – Transport from Edinburgh Airport to The Gleneagles Hotel
15.00 – 16.00 – Guest Arrival, Check-in & Conference Registration
16.00 – 16.05 – Welcome to GlenLegal 2018 – Caroline Hill, Editor-in-Chief, Legal IT Insider
16.05 – 16.15 – Chairman’s Opening Remarks – Mark Whitley, Founder, Trinity House Advisory
16.15 – 17.15 – AI Panel Discussion – The practical application of AI – how is it being used in the legal sector and what, if anything has already been learned?
- Jo Sherman, CEO & Founder, EDT (Panel Chair)
- Dene Rowe, Director of Product Development (Partner), Keoghs
- Milos Kresojevic, Founder, AI Legal Labs
- Jeevan D’Silva, General Counsel, T-Systems
17.15 – 18.00 – AI Workshops
- Practical applications of AI in the workplace
- Lessons learned, having selected, implemented and delivered an AI solution
- Can AI deliver ROI?
18.00 – 18.30 – Free Time
18.30 – 19.00 – Welcome Drinks
19.00 – 21.30 – Dinner
21.30 – Drinks & Networking
Monday 26th February
07.00 – 08.00 – Breakfast
08.00 – 09.00 – AI Keynote: Jie Zhang, Research Director, Gartner
Jie Zhang will present a state of nation keynote on the shape of the AI landscape within legal drawing on her 17 years of experience, whilst sharing her extensive insights having worked on risk and security management programs. Her areas of speciality include enterprise legal management, integrated risk management and digital innovation.
09.00 – 10.00 – Pricing Panel Discussion
How do firms prioritise their IT expenditure? How do they work smarter? How do they demonstrate ROI? We have some of the brightest minds to lead our discussions on this topic.
- Mohammed Ajaz, Group Head of Legal Operational Excellence, National Grid (Panel Chair)
- Adam Riley, Sales & Commercial Director, Accenture Strategy
- Ian Gilbert, BD Director – Pricing, Strategic Research and Operations, Herbert Smith Freehills
- Georgina Thorpe, Pricing Manager, Disputes, Herbert Smith Freehills
- Michael van Leeuwen, Pricing Manager, De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek N.V.
- Adrian Avanzato, Head of Pricing, Pinsent Masons
10.00 – 10.40 – Pricing Workshops
- Alternative Pricing Models – How can technology help & are there any best practices/models?
- How do firms prioritise IT spend, what are the drivers and how is success measured?
- How to preserve/increase PEP in a more competitive landscape.
- What pricing pressures are firms experiencing? What technology are they using to combat these pressures?
10.40 – 13.40 – Gleneagles Activities – A Big Thank You to Fulcrum Global Technologies who made this possible
13.40 – 14.30 – Lunch
14.30 – 15.30 – Cybersecurity Keynote: Daniel Pollick, CIO and Director of Business Transformation, DLA Piper
Global law firm DLA Piper was among organisations across the world affected by a major cyber-attack in June 2017. Its Chief Information Officer describes how the firm responded and recovered, followed by a Q&A.
15.30 – 16.15 – Cyber Security Workshops, hosted by: James Ratcliffe, UK Head of Operations, TowerWatch & Scott Cairns, CTO, T-Systems
- Cybersecurity: how are firms addressing the increasing challenges around cyber-attacks. What lessons have we learned from 2017?
- Security and confidentiality – issues arising from client audits and how to address these challenges.
16.15 – 16.45 – Coffee
16.45 – 17.15 – Innovation Panel Discussion
‘Innovation’: It’s a huge topic but in response to delegate demand, we’ve got some of the brightest minds in the business to discuss what the IT department and the workplace of the future looks like and how technology can support wider innovation.
- Derek Southall, Head of Innovation and Digital, Gowling WLG; Founder and CEO of Hyperscale Group
- Chris White, Global CIO, Clyde & Co
17.15 – 18.00 – Process Panel Discussion
How can process increase productivity? Which workflow solutions are being used to automate processes? And Is document assembly and automation just part of the solution?
- Sarah Barrett-Vane, Former Director of Legal Operations, Royal Mail (Panel Chair)
- Mike Polson, Director, Ashurst Advance
- Barry Rodick, Product Owner, Eversheds Ignite
18.00 – 19.00 – Free Time
19.00 – 21.30 – Dinner, charity auction and Action For Children, Byte Night Presentation
22.30 – Networking
Tuesday 27th February
07.00 – 08.30 – Breakfast
08.30 – 09.15 – People and performance panel discussion
Engaging your people is a huge challenge, as is creating high performing teams. We’ll hear from those leading the way in using technology to achieve these aims.
- Haig Tyler, Chief Information Officer, Herbert Smith Freehills (Panel Chair)
- Oz Benamram, Chief Knowledge Officer, White & Case
- Richard Tomlinson, Head of Knowledge Architecture and Systems, Berwin Leighton Paisner
09.15 – 09.45 – People Workshops
- Change management & service delivery
- Better Fee-Earner engagement with IT
- How to achieve high performing teams
09.45 – 10.15 – The Big Four Panel Discussion
Competition: we’ll look not just at the threat from the Big Four but what law firms can learn from other professions in terms of applying AI, automation and better processes and discuss what the future competition and shape of the legal market will look like.
- Caroline Hill, Editor-in-Chief, Legal IT Insider (Panel Chair)
- Jeremy Barton, General Counsel, KPMG UK
- Matthew Kellett, Partner, UK Financial Services Law Leader, EY
10.15 – 10.40 – The Big Four Workshop, hosted by panellists above:
- What can law firms learn from other professions?
- Should law firms be collaborating and forming alliances to compete? Is now the time to share data?
- Will there ultimately be a Big Four of law firms?
10.40 – 11.10 – Coffee
11.10 – 11.50 – Change Management Panel Discussion
Implementing wholesale change is never easy. We’ll hear from speakers who have managed the roll out of ERPs LexisOne, Peppermint and SAP, followed by workshop discussions around wider change management challenges.
- Mike Giles, Finance Director, Fieldfisher
- Jon Gould, IT Director, Blake Morgan
- Kim Curran, Global GPMS Consultant, Norton Rose Fulbright
11.50 – 12.30 – Change Management Workshops
- How do you build engagement to help push through change?
- Does success revolve around good communication or good technology?
- The pitfalls and how to avoid them
12.30 – 13.30 – Lunch
13.30 – 14.15 – Cloud Panel Discussion
Moving to the cloud: Microsoft will present its cloud strategy and roadmap for legal; Taylor Wessing, Seddons & NewSignature will offer insights on the ‘How Tos’ and early lessons learned from their experiences of moving to the cloud.
- Matt O’Callaghan, Legal Sector Sales Lead, Microsoft
- Dan Scarfe, Founder, NewSignature
- Richard Skinner, Senior Enterprise Architect, Taylor Wessing
- James Temple, IT Director, Seddons
14.15 – 15.00 – Cloud Workshops
- Adoption of Cloud
- Migrating to The Cloud
15.00 – Chairman’s Closing Remarks & Conference Close
15.30 – Transport to Edinburgh Airport
Our Sponsors (without them this event would not happen!)
- Annodata – annodata.co.uk
- BSO – bsonetwork.com
- DocsCorp – docscorp.com
- Fulcrum Global Technologies – fulcrum-gt.com
- iManage – imanage.com
- Intapp – intapp.com
- Iomart – iomart.com
- Kutana – kutana.co.uk
- LexisNexis – lexisnexis.co.uk
- LoopUp – loopup.com
- Netdocuments – netdocuments.com
- Paper River Consulting – paper-river.com
- Peppermint Technology – pepperminttechnology.co.uk
- Prosperoware – prosperoware.com
- Repstor – repstor.com
- Tessian (Formerly CheckRecipient) – checkrecipient.com
- Thomson Reuters Elite – elite.com
- Tikit – tikit.com
- Tricostar – tricostar.com
- Workshare – workshare.com
Special Recognition & Thanks, go to:
- All our Sponsors they are the ones who enable the Legal IT Insider team to deliver GlenLegal;
- Caroline Hill, my wife and editor-in-chief of Legal IT Insider & our team;
- Mike Whitley, our conference chair;
- Daniel Pollick, for his input and guidance;
- Jie Zhang, Gartner & Paul Taylor for making it happen;
- Action for Children, our amazing charity;
- Fulcrum Global Technologies, for letting us shoot, play golf & drive off-road;
- LTC4, our event partner;
- Our friend’s strategic partners ALM;
- Our Speakers; and finally,
- Everyone who took time to join us at GlenLegal 2018